Sweet & Sour Pork
Classic crispy sweet & sour pork
- 400 g. pork shoulder (cut into 2cm cubes)
- 1 onion (grated (or finely chopped))
- 2 cloves garlic (finely grated)
- 1 cm ginger (finely grated)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda (bi-carb)
- 2 tsp. corn starch (cornflour)
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 5 tbsp. corn starch (cornflour) (to mix in marinade)
- 80 g. corn starch (cornflour) (to coat before frying)
- 500-600 ml fry oil (veg oil)
For sweet & sour sauce
- 75 g. sugar
- 80 ml. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. oyster sauce
- 4 tsp. corn starch (cornflour)
- 125 ml water
For stir frying
- 1 tbsp. veg oil
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 cm ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 onions (cut into 2cm cube)
- 1 red capsicum (cut into 2cm cube)
- 1 green capsicum (cut into 2cm cube)
- 1 cup pineapple pieces
In a bowl, mix all marinade ingredients and stir through pork.
Cover in cling wrap and return bowl to fridge for 2-12hrs.
Preperateion and sauce
Preheat oven to 80C to keep cooked pork warn
Add all sauce ingredients into a bowl (except the water) and stir to combine. Then add the water to thin out the mixture.
Make sure all your ingredients are ready and accessible.
Mix 5 tbsp. of cornstarch through the marindated pork, and set aside for 5min.
Add fry oil to wok and start to heat up. Oil will be ready when bubbles appear around your wooden cooking chopsticks if inserted into the oil.
Add corn starch to a shallow bowl, then a piece (or couple pieces – one you get more confident) at a time coat pork in corn starch. make a small pile of coated pork on a plate, then start to fry them off for 1.5min per batch or until golden brown and crispy. Then put crispy pork on a plate in the oven to stay warm.
N.B. Fry off in batches, not crowding the wok.
Remove the majority of the fry oil from the wok and turn the temperature to high.
Add the onion for 1.5min then the garlic and ginger for 20sec (until aromatic). Then add the capcicum and stirfry for another 2-3min.
Stir through sauce and pineapple, and simmer for 2min until it starts to thicken.
Stir through pork for 10-15sec to coat and serve immediatly.