Classic crispy sweet & sour pork
- 1 wok
- 1 microplane For grating ginger and garlic
- 400 g. pork shoulder cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 onion grated (or finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic finely grated
- 1 cm ginger finely grated
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda (bi-carb)
- 2 tsp. corn starch (cornflour)
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 5 tbsp. corn starch (cornflour) to mix in marinade
- 80 g. corn starch (cornflour) to coat before frying
- 500-600 ml fry oil (veg oil)
For sweet & sour sauce
- 75 g. sugar
- 80 ml. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. oyster sauce
- 4 tsp. corn starch (cornflour)
- 125 ml water
For stir frying
- 1 tbsp. veg oil
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 cm ginger finely chopped
- 2 onion cut into 2cm cube
- 1 red capsicum cut into 2cm cube
- 1 green capsicum cut into 2cm cube
- 1 cup pineapple pieces
- In a bowl, mix all marinade ingredients and stir through pork.
- Cover in cling wrap and return bowl to fridge for 2-12hrs.
Preperation and sauce
- Preheat oven to 80C to keep cooked pork warn
- Add all sauce ingredients into a bowl (except the water) and stir to combine. Then add the water to thin out the mixture.
- Make sure all your ingredients are ready and accessible.
- Mix 5 tbsp. of cornstarch through the marindated pork, and set aside for 5min.
- Add fry oil to wok and start to heat up. Oil will be ready when bubbles appear around your wooden cooking chopsticks if inserted into the oil.
- Add corn starch to a shallow bowl, then a piece (or couple pieces - one you get more confident) at a time coat pork in corn starch. make a small pile of coated pork on a plate, then start to fry them off for 1.5min per batch or until golden brown and crispy. Then put crispy pork on a plate in the oven to stay warm.N.B. Fry off in batches, not crowding the wok.
- Remove the majority of the fry oil from the wok and turn the temperature to high.
- Add the onion for 1.5min then the garlic and ginger for 20sec (until aromatic). Then add the capcicum and stirfry for another 2-3min.
- Stir through sauce and pineapple, and simmer for 2min until it starts to thicken.
- Stir through pork for 10-15sec to coat and serve immediatly.